The mission of Her Health Physical Therapy is to provide our patients with high quality physical therapy by reducing pain, promoting general health and wellness and improving function. There are two components to this mission:
1) Spend quality time with each patient;
2) Provide high quality evaluation and treatment using the best research-based manual techniques, exercises and modalities like ultrasound, electrical stimulation and biofeedback.
WOMEN'S HEALTH - The primary focus of Her Health Physical Therapy is treatment of women's health. This includes a long list of diagnoses specific to women which unfortunately are not treated by most physical therapists. For more information on any of these diagnoses please see the "Conditions Treated" section of this website. See below for the types of treatment offered at Her Health Physical Therapy.
MEN'S HEALTH - We now have two physical therapists fully trained in the treatment of male pelvic floor dysfunction. This includes prostatitis, urinary dysfunction (difficulty emptying the bladder as well as incontinence), pelvic pain, bowel dysfunction (difficulty with defecation or fecal incontinence) and difficulty achieving orgasm. Stay tuned for more details about men's health soon to be announced on our His Health Physical Therapy page.
GENERAL OUTPATIENT ORTHOPEDICS- The physical therapists at Her Health Physical Therapy have extensive experience in the treatment of sport and orthopedic pain and injury as well as post-surgical rehabilitation. Although they are now specializing in the treatment of women's health, that by no means has diminished their interest in the treatment of musculoskeletal dysfunction.
All Physical Therapy provided at Her Health Physical Therapy includes use of the following types of services:
Manual Therapy - a treatment approach emphasized at Her Health Physical Therapy.
Soft Tissue Mobilization
Visceral Mobilization (see below)
Trigger Point Release
Scar Tissue Mobilization
Connective Tissue Release (also called Skin rolling)
Muscle Energy Technique (correcting alignment)
Modalities - used only when indicated and not as a rule at Her Health Physical Therapy.
Moist Heat Packs
Russian Electrical Stimulation
Other Treatments Available
- Therapeutic Exercise - This is not just exercise for the sake of improving general strength or obtaining a higher aerobic capacity. Therapeutic exercise is exercise specifically designed to treat a particular dysfunction. Each patient will also receive a personalized home exercise program whenever indicated.
- Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation - a type of neuron-reeducation which includes contract-relax stretch.
- Plyometrics - In the simplest of terms, plyometrics are exercises that involve a jumping movement, for example skipping, bounding, jump rope, hopping, lunges, jump squats and clap push-ups. Plyometrics are often used by athletes to develop power for their chosen sport, and more importantly can aid in injury prevention and rehabilitation. NOTE: Plyometrics can cause injury if not performed correctly, so it is best if they are performed under the guidance of a trained professional.
- Balance and coordination training - Falls are one of the leading causes of injury, so improving balance and coordination can assist with fall prevention; this is especially important in women with osteoporosis.
- Patient Education - Education is another priority at Her Health Physical Therapy, as knowledge is the single greatest weapon in the recovery process of any dysfunction.
- Postural education and body mechanics training - Body mechanics is simply the movements used to perform everyday tasks such as lifting, squatting, cleaning and reaching. Poor posture and poor body mechanics can lead to significant injury over time. At Her Health Physical Therapy, we instruct each patient in proper body mechanics and posture to both assist in recovery and prevent future injury.
- Self care and home management training - When appropriate, the physical therapists at Her Health Physical Therapy will instruct their patients in ways to improve their personal care, self treatment techniques for home as well as techniques to improve their activities of daily living.
- Visceral Therapy - a gentle manual therapy that aids your body's ability to release restrictions and unhealthy compensations that cause pain and dysfunction. Visceral manipulation or VM, does not focus solely on the site of pain or dysfunction, but evaluates the entire body to find the source of the problem.